Tree Seeds for farmers - A toolkit and reference source
This toolkit has been developed to provide information on sustainable production of seeds and seedlings of agroforestry species.
The prime objective of the toolkit is to provide information and examples of how the quality of seeds and seedlings can be maintained from collection to field planting for the great diversity of agroforestry species that are useful to small-scale farmers. The toolkit was developed recognizing the wide range of actors and stakeholders that are involved in scaling-up agroforestry systems. Its format is designed to answer the questions that various actors may have in relation to seed production. The toolkit is based on a review of existing documentation and extension materials on seed production. Useful references to augment the toolkit information are also provided.
This toolkit complements existing materials on seed production in two fundamental ways. Firstly, it provides information on how joint strategies can be made by the various actors and stakeholders in scaling-up tree planting in defined regions. Secondly, it explores in further detail the option of developing sustainable systems that provide quality material by involving the private sector in seed production. The final section of the toolkit primarily focuses on tree nursery management.
The toolkit contains three sections:
PART I: Strategies for scaling up seed production
- Chapter 1: Seed Production and Distribution Strategies
- Chapter 2: Research
- Chapter 3: Extension
- Chapter 4: Training
- Chapter 5: Information Sources
- Chapter 6: Species Selection
PART II: Technical guidelines in seed production
- Chapter 7: Seed Sourcing
- Chapter 8: Seed Collection
- Chapter 9: Seed Processing (see also videoclips listed below)
- Chapter 10: Seed Storage
- Chapter 11: Seed Dormacy and Pre-sowing Treatments (see also videoclips listed below)
- Chapter 12: Seed Quality – Physiological and Genetic
- Chapter 13: Seed Distribution
- Chapter 14: Seed Documentation
PART III: The private sector and seed production
- Chapter 15: The Business Approach
- Chapter 16: Marketing Seed and Seedlings
- Chapter 17: Tree Nurseries as an Enterprise
- Chapter 18: Tree Seedling Quality
- Chapter 19: Tree Nursery Operators as Extension Agents
Suggestions for further reading:
- Schmidt, Lars. 2000. Guide to handling of tropical and subtropical forest seed. DANIDA Forest Seed Centre, Humlebaek, Denmark. Xxi+511 pp Download from Forest and Landscape Denmark
- Mulawarman, Roshetko JM, Sasongko SM and Irianto D. 2003. Tree seed management. Seed sources, seed collection and seed handling. A field manual for field workers and farmers. TFRI Extension Series No. 152. World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF), Winrock International in collaboration with Indonesia Forest Seed Project, Bogor, Indonesia. 54 pp Download pdf
- Florabank guidelines for best practice for seed collection and use Download from Flora Bank
- Tropical trees: propagation and planting manuals produced by Longman
- Seed leaflets developed by the former Danida Forest Seed Centre Download from Forest and Landscape Denmark
- Nursery manuals developed by the World Agroforestry Centre Download
- Wightman KE. 1999. Good tree nursery practices. Practical guidelines for community nurseries. World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF), Nairobi, Kenya. 95 pp.
- Jaenicke H. Good tree nursery practices. Practical guidelines for research nurseries. World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF), Nairobi, Kenya. 90 pp.
- Business skills for small-scale seed producers produced by Soniia David and Beth Oliver Download from CIAT-Africa