Who We Are
The World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) Viet Nam is the country’s leading international agroforestry research institution. Registered in Viet Nam in 2007, ICRAF generates science-based knowledge about the diverse roles that trees play in the country’s rural landscapes, as well as advance policies that benefit the poor and the environment.
One of 15 CGIAR Centres, ICRAF is a centre of scientific excellence which conducts research in more than 30 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. The Centre implements agroforestry and related projects/programmes in many developing countries, including Viet Nam, with the main goal of transforming lives and landscapes with trees.
Viet Nam’s efforts to open its economy to global trade and investment have contributed to high GDP per capita growth rates over the past two decades with drastic reduction in poverty—from nearly 70 percent of the population in the 1990s to less than 10 percent in 2015. Yet more than 13 million, mostly rural communities, remain below the poverty line. Furthermore, the country faces mounting land degradation and climate impacts such as damage to crops, loss of arable land and shifting production zones. ICRAF is working with national and local partners to achieve inclusive and sustainable growth by developing agroforestry options, promoting climate-smart agriculture and agri-climate information services, and enhancing landscape multi-functionality.
1) LIVELIHOOD IMPROVEMENT
ICRAF’s work in Viet Nam creates more inclusive, sustainable livelihood alternatives for smallholder farmers. We work directly with rural communities to develop market-based agroforestry options that simultaneously improve farm productivity and income, expand tree species diversity, enhance coping Mechanisms for climate variability, and match trees, soil and crop species to sites and systems. We focus on species with market potential, such as coffee and link farmers to markets for their agroforestry products.
2) CLIMATE CHANGE ADAPTATION AND MITIGATION
ICRAF helps develop climate-smart agroforestry options, low-emission development strategies, and agro-climate information services that sustain agro-ecosystem productivity and environmental resilience in the face of intensifying climate change impacts.
3) LAND RESTORATION AND ECOSYSTEM SERVICES
We evaluate the role and contribution of trees in land restoration and securing landscape functions such as water regulation, carbon storage and soil erosion control, and develop business cases for co-investments in managing landscapes.
4) PARTNERSHIPS FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
To support the harmonization of Viet Nam’s strong commitment to economic growth and expansion of tree-based land uses, we inform policies and planning processes at sub-national and national levels. We promote agroforestry within forest and watershed management, rural development, and climate change programmes and strategies. We also facilitate regional policy dialogues at ASEAN level to promote agroforestry amongst member states.
Where We Work
Our work is concentrated in north and central Viet Nam which is characterized by high poverty levels and accelerating land use change due to agricultural expansion and commercialization.
Viet Nam partners
- Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources (MONRE)
- Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD)
- Thai Nguyen University of Agriculture and Forestry (TUAF)
- Duy Tan University (DTU)
- Viet Nam National University of Forestry (VNUF)
- Institute of Policy and Strategy for Agriculture and Rural Development (IPSARD)
- Viet Nam Academy of Agricultural Sciences (VAAS)
- Northern Mountainous Agriculture and Forestry Science Institute (NOMAFSI)
- Viet Nam Academy of Forest Science (VAFS)
- Soils and Fertilizers Research Institute (SFRI)
- National Institute for Agricultural Planning and Projection (NIAPP)
- Viet Nam Farmers’ Union (VFU)
- Farmers’ Union in Ha Tinh
- Department of Natural Resources and the Environment (DoNRE)
- Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (DARD)
- Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR)
- Global Partnerships for Tropical Forest Margins Alternatives to Slash & Burn (ASB)
- United Nations Collaborative Programme on Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest
- Degradation in Developing Countries (UN-REDD)
- Centre for International Forestry Research (CIFOR)
- Southern Cross University (SCU)
- ASEAN Working Group on Social Forestry (AWG-SF)
- Center for People and Forests (RECOFTC)
- Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture (SEARCA)
- Non-Timber Forest Products Exchange Programme for South and Southeast Asia (NTFP-EP)
- CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS)
- Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC)
- International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
Dr. Nguyen Quang Tan
Country Program Coordinator
Country Representative, ICRAF-Viet Nam
ICRAF-Viet Nam Office
13th floor, HCMC Tower
No. 249A Thuy Khe Street, Tay Ho District, Ha Noi, Viet Nam
Tel: +84 4 3783 4645; Fax: +84 4 3783 4644